The Consulate General of Canada in New York is seeking a Business Development Officer to undertake trade promotion, innovation, and investment attraction (to Canada) in the western Pennsylvania region. The Officer will also be responsible for general knowledge of governmental trends in the region. The position will be located in Pittsburgh.
POSITION TITLE: Business Development Officer
SECTION: International Business Development
LOCATION: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance)
POSITION NUMBER: EXT-417348
STARTING SALARY: $84,569 USD plus benefits
COMPETITION NUMBER: 2012-06
DATE POSTED: October 10, 2012
CLOSING DATE: October 18, 2012
□ Residents of the United States with independent work authorization.
□ Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
□ Employees of any Canadian Mission in the US.
TRANSFER: Employees of the Embassy of Canada or any Canadian Consulate in the US currently at this
level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed
against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest. Relocation
fees will not be paid in any circumstance.
EMPLOYMENT TENURE: There is one term position available, with a specified period of employment
through to November 2014, with the possibility of extension. This competitive staffing process may be
used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various
tenures, including indeterminate, term, and acting opportunities. When you submit your application,
you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g.,
indeterminate, term, and/or acting.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under long distance supervision of the Senior Trade Commissioner at the Consulate General in New
York, the candidate will use his/her extensive knowledge of the Western Pennsylvania region business
community to develop market intelligence and a network of local contacts to serve Canadian clients
looking to expand their business into the region (especially in areas such as energy , including clean
energy and energy efficiency, or advanced manufacturing) and to develop contacts for foreign direct
investment attraction to Canada. The candidate will work on an integrative trade basis to account for
trade promotion, innovation and foreign direct investment attraction when developing his/her client
pool. This position will work in collaboration with the trade team at the Canadian Consulate and other
parts of the Consulate where appropriate. The candidate must demonstrate a strong ability to work
independently in a proactive accountable manner, both with regard to client development and budget
administration. The candidate will also be responsible for being aware of political trends in the region
and maintaining a government contact network.
Fluency in English (oral and written). Ability to work in French would be an asset.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT (must be met):
● Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status
● US resident with work authorization in the United States.
● Must hold a valid driver’s license.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the duties required by the
position or a degree from a recognised university with relevant work experience.
1. Significant experience in developing client and stakeholder relationships in the Western Pennsylvania
region, such as clients or influencers, and in obtaining, preparing, and conducting meetings with private
sector clients, in sectors such as energy (including clean energy and energy efficiency) or advanced
manufacturing, e.g., business to business meetings, sales meetings, cold calls, etc. in the entire region;
2. Significant and recent experience working with individuals or groups to promote international
business development, especially in sectors such as energy (including clean energy and energy
efficiency) or advanced manufacturing;
3. Significant experience conducting research and analysis on international business development issues
in the western Pennsylvania region;
4. Experience in providing strategic advice, briefings and written reports to management and/or clients
on business opportunities and international business issues;
5. Experience in project management (including strategic planning, tracking/reporting results and
budget management); and
6. Experience in identifying and maintaining networks with government officials in order to account for
developments such as regulatory changes.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following
qualifications. The assessment may include a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills
test, and/or reference checks.
1. Knowledge of the factors that influence business in the US generally and in the western Pennsylvania
region in particular, and how they may have an impact on Canadian business interests, especially in such
sectors as energy (including clean energy and energy efficiency) or advanced manufacturing;
2. Knowledge of the role of the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service in advancing Canadian
commercial interests, attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), and promoting innovation;
3. Knowledge of the Canadian economy and its relationship to the western Pennsylvania region,
especially in such sectors as energy (including clean energy and energy efficiency) or advanced
4. Knowledge of Canadian priorities and advocacy objectives and their relationship to the western
1. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
2. Ability to analyse and provide strategic advice;
3. Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines;
4. Ability to work independently in a proactive and accountable manner; and
5. Ability to develop and maintain a network of clients and influencers.
1. Interpersonal relations, including with clients and colleagues;
2. Client focused;
3. Sound judgement; and
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the
essential requirements. PLEASE NOTE THAT FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
ELIMINATES CANDIDATES FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION IN THE COMPETITION.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test, reference checks and other tests that will
consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities and personal
suitability for the position. All candidates are required to show proof of legal status to live and work in
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing
date. In completing their applications, candidates will confirm that they meet all the essential
requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description. On subject line
of email, write only your last name in caps followed by competition number: Ex. SMITH – 2012-06. Hard
copy applications will not be accepted.
HOURS OF WORK:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Locally-Engaged Staff regulations of 37.5
hours per week. The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime on occasion and when
This position requires travel throughout the western Pennsylvania region, as well as to New York City
and to Canada.